Air traffic is a significant contributor to global warming. Unfortunately, I have a career where I have to fly often (to attend conferences), and I do not have the willpower to force through much change on my own. All I can do is take the train or bus when viable, and make a semi-exhibitionist log of all my journeys by plane, as is seen below. Some of these trips have been longer due to stopovers, but I’m just listing the idealised flight distance.
- Copenhagen to Malta and back (2x 2202km). Family vacation. First long-distance flight, but I vaguely recall a sightseeing trip in a small Cessna or similar some time earlier. Also my only trip prior to the post-9/11 security theater.
- Copenhagen to Bruxelles and back (2x 765km) to attend FOSDEM 2011.
- Copenhagen to Bruxelles and back (2x 765km) to attend FOSDEM 2012.
- Copenhagen to Boston and back (2x 5888km) to attend FHPC 2013.
Copenhagen to Bruxelles and back (2x 765km) to attend FOSDEM 2014.
Copenhagen to Edinburg (1000km) to attend ARRAY ’14.
Edinburg to Portland (7421km) to attend OPLSS.
Portland to San Francisco (885km) for LLNL internship.
San Francisco to Copenhagen (8800km).
- Copenhagen to Bruxelles and back (2x 765km) to attend FOSDEM 2015.
Copenhagen to Los Angeles and back (2x 9005km) to attend PLDI 2016.
Copenhagen to Osaka and back (2x 8602km) to attend ICFP 2016.
Copenhagen to Johannesburg and back (2x 9220km) for a family vacation.
Copenhagen to Bruxelles and back (2x 765km) to attend FOSDEM 2017.
Copenhagen to Barcelona and back (2x 1780km) to attend PLDI 2017.
Copenhagen to Paris and back (2x 1000km) for a work meeting.
Copenhagen to London and back (2x 980km) to attend ICFP 2017.
- Copenhagen to Chicago and back (2x 6846km) to attend ICFP 2018. The road trip from Chicago to St. Louis doesn’t count as flying!
Copenhagen to Washington DC and back (2x 6540km) to attend PPOPP 2019.
Copenhagen to Glasgow and back (2x 1060km) to meet with the Lift people.
Copenhagen to Geneva and back (2x 1140km) to give a talk.
- Copenhagen to Amsterdam and back (2x 622km) to attend NL-FP Day 2020. I really wanted to take the train for this one, but I could not find a reasonable way.
Copenhagen to Aalborg and back (2x 223km) to be censor at AAU. Flying there makes no sense, and I would much rather have taken the train, but I didn’t make the arrangements myself.
Copenhagen to Krakow and back (2x 779km) to attend Lambda Days.
Copenhagen to Dallas and back (2x 8129km) to attend Supercomputing 22.